Thank you for listening.
Here at Women Offshore, we participated in Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM), which each year calls attention to the fact that sexual violence is widespread. It is a proclamation to join advocates and communities in taking action to prevent sexual assault and sexual harassment (SASH). Two female mariners and graduates of the US Merchant Marine Academy, Ally Cedeno and Fionna Boyle, used the podcast platform for change by digging into the data, #metoo stories, and industry resources.
Thank you for listening. We know it hasn’t been easy to explore SASH and we appreciate you being with us every step of the way. We will be moving on to other topics on the podcast, however that doesn’t mean the conversation around SASH prevention will end and we hope you will help us in advocating for safe work environments for everyone.
Wrapping up the mini series is today’s episode. Fionna and Ally recap the SASH mini series, sharing what they learned and they are joined by Captain Andrea Morrison, an avid listener of the podcast, to talk about what’s needed beyond awareness initiatives.
If you or someone you know experienced a sexual assault or sexual harassment, you are not alone.
We encourage you to report such matters to your employer, academy, school, or union as per their guidelines. For example, this may be your HR partner, captain, or designated person ashore. It can be hard to speak up, but it is a necessary step in seeking help and breaking the cycle of sexual assault and sexual harassment. The following is a list of resources to also utilize.
- RAINN-Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network: https://www.rainn.org/about-sexual-assault , 24/7 Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE(4673)
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center: https://www.nsvrc.org/
- Victim Connect: Confidential Referrals for Crime Victims: https://victimconnect.org/learn/types-of-crime/sexual-assault/, 1-855-484-2846
- SeafarerHelp: https://www.seafarerhelp.org dial +44 20 7323 2737; email email@example.com
- YachtCrew Help: https://www.yachtcrewhelp.org dial +44 20 3713 7273; email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Safer Waves: https://saferwaves.org/
- SeaCode: https://www.seacode.org/resources
Have a Listen & Subscribe
What did you think of the show?
The Women Offshore Foundation is an online organization and resource center for a diverse workforce on the water. Its mission is to propel women into meaningful careers through access to a worldwide community and professional development resources, while raising awareness amongst industry leaders and decision makers about issues affecting women on the water. Contact Women Offshore today: email@example.com.