Listener & Reader Discretion Advised
This episode contains content that may be alarming to some listeners. We advise listener and reader discretion. We do our best to hold these topics with sincerity, and we hope you’ll listen in only when you feel ready and able. Check the show notes for support resources and please take care of yourself.
If you or someone you know experienced a sexual assault or sexual harassment, you are not alone.
We encourage you to report such matters to your employer, academy, school, or union as per their guidelines. For example, this may be your HR partner, captain, or designated person ashore. It can be hard to speak up, but it is a necessary step in seeking help and breaking the cycle of sexual assault and sexual harassment.
The following is a list of resources to also utilize:
- Safer Waves: https://saferwaves.org/
- SeafarerHelp: https://www.seafarerhelp.org dial +44 20 7323 2737; email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yacht Crew Help: 24-hour support for professional yacht crew worldwide: https://www.seafarerswelfare.org/our-work/yacht-crew-help
- RAINN-Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network: https://www.rainn.org/about-sexual-assault , 24/7 Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE(4673)
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center: https://www.nsvrc.org/
- Victim Connect: Confidential Referrals for Crime Victims: https://victimconnect.org/learn/types-of-crime/sexual-assault/, 1-855-484-2846
- SeaCode: https://www.seacode.org/resources
Have a Listen & Subscribe
About the Episode
In this episode, Ally Cedeno, the founder of Women Offshore speaks up for industry change. Hear her take on what the industry and allies can do. Read more about the resources she mentions below:
- “Some Effects of Proportions on Group Life: Skewed Sex Ratios and Responses to Token Women,” Rosabeth Moss Kanter https://www.jstor.org/stable/2777808
- “Good Guys: How Men Can Be Better Allies For Women In The Workplace,” David Smith & Brad Johnson. https://www.workplaceallies.com/books/goodguys
What did you think of the show?
Are you looking for more podcasts focused on topics in the energy industry? Checkout what’s playing at the Oil & Gas Global Network!
The Women Offshore Foundation is an online organization and resource center for a diverse workforce on the water. Its mission is to propel women into meaningful careers through access to a worldwide community and professional development resources, while raising awareness amongst industry leaders and decision makers about issues affecting women on the water. Contact Women Offshore today: email@example.com.