Female midshipmen from USMMA raise their voices for change.
This episode contains content that may be alarming to some listeners. We advise listener and reader discretion. We do our best to hold these topics with sincerity, and we hope you’ll listen in only when you feel ready and able.
It is no secret that sexual assault and sexual harassment (SASH) is a widespread problem in the maritime industry. Midshipman X ignited the conversation and there continues to be a lot of talk for change in our industry surrounding SASH.
Recently, USMMA female midshipmen came together to raise their voices on the Women Offshore Podcast for change. The United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) is a federal service academy that graduates licensed merchant marine officers and commissioned officers in the Armed Forces committed to serve the national security, marine transportation, and economic needs of the United States.
Listen to the stories of USMMA female midshipmen on episode 76 of the Women Offshore Podcast, by pressing play below.
If you or someone you know experienced a sexual assault or sexual harassment, you are not alone.
We encourage you to report such matters to your employer, academy, school, or union as per their guidelines. For example, this may be your HR partner, captain, or designated person ashore. It can be hard to speak up, but it is a necessary step in seeking help and breaking the cycle of sexual assault and sexual harassment.
The following is a list of resources to also utilize:
- Safer Waves: https://saferwaves.org/
- SeafarerHelp: https://www.seafarerhelp.org dial +44 20 7323 2737; email email@example.com
- Yacht Crew Help: 24-hour support for professional yacht crew worldwide: https://www.seafarerswelfare.org/our-work/yacht-crew-help
- RAINN-Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network: https://www.rainn.org/about-sexual-assault , 24/7 Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE(4673)
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center: https://www.nsvrc.org/
- Victim Connect: Confidential Referrals for Crime Victims: https://victimconnect.org/learn/types-of-crime/sexual-assault/, 1-855-484-2846
- SeaCode: https://www.seacode.org/resources
Have a Listen & Subscribe
What did you think of the show?
Are you looking for more podcasts focused on topics in the energy industry? Checkout what’s playing at the Oil & Gas Global Network!
The Women Offshore Foundation is an online organization and resource center for a diverse workforce on the water. Its mission is to propel women into meaningful careers through access to a worldwide community and professional development resources, while raising awareness amongst industry leaders and decision makers about issues affecting women on the water. Contact Women Offshore today: firstname.lastname@example.org.